Monday, August 3, 2009

Veggie Couscous

Someone mentioned that they were looking for some vegetarian recipes. So am I. Not that I plan to become a vegetarian, I just want to reduce the amount of meat that I eat to only a few times a week. I found this one here.

IMG_5418

1 box plain couscous

1 tbsp olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium onion, diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 zucchini, cubed

1 can diced tomatoes, including juice

1/2 can drained garbanzo beans

1/2 cup craisins (optional)

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

salt to taste

Heat olive oil over medium heat in large sauté pan. Sauté garlic, onions, and red pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add zucchini. Sauté until tender crisp. Add diced tomatoes, garbanzo beans, craisins, and spices. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Make couscous according to package directions.

I really liked this recipe. Nathan liked it too, but said that he probably would have liked it better without the craisins. Personally, I loved the burst of sweetness and flavor that the craisins added. The only thing I think I will do different when I make it again is increase the spice level. Maybe double the amount of cayenne pepper or perhaps add some curry.

Nutrition Facts

4 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories
291.8

Total Fat
1.7 g

Total Carbohydrate
69.4 g

Dietary Fiber
8.5 g

Sugars
13.9 g

Protein
10.7 g

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy to me! I love couscous even the whole wheat kind. One thing you didn't mention for those who haven't had couscous. It only takes a minute to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good & easy & doesn't require a ton of things I've never heard of... just the type of veggie dish I was looking for! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I could get my husband to eat it. He usually requires a meat of some sort. Maybe I could add some mushrooms to make it meaty! :)

    ReplyDelete