Monday, August 10, 2009

Feed the Machine

I have now read several different articles that suggest feeding your body what it needs first and then allowing yourself a treat as a diet strategy.  The idea is if you eat all that you are supposed to eat first and are then still hungry you allow yourself to have a little something that you are craving.  It’s kind of like what you tell little kids, “Eat your veggies and then you can have dessert.”

Based on what I’ve read, for many people, after they eat what they are supposed to eat, they often find that they are not even hungry anymore and very often can easily make the choice NOT to have the treat at the end of the day.

We all know essentially what we are supposed to have each day to make our bodies run properly, right?  But just as a review, this is the minimum of what a 30 something women is supposed to have daily.  Your specific minimum may be different depending on age, gender, height, weight, and activity level.  You can find out at mypyramid.gov

 

8 – 8 oz glasses of water (or more if you are exercising)

6 – 1 oz servings of grain  (a minimum of 3 servings should be whole grains;  a serving is 1 slice bread, 1/2 cup cooked rice, pkg instant oatmeal, 1 cup ready to eat cereal, 3 cups popcorn, etc.)

5 servings of vegetables (a serving is 1/2 cup of most veggies or 1 cup of leafy vegetables)

4 servings of fruit (a serving is 1/2 cup of fruit, i.e. a large banana or apple could be considered 2 servings)

3 servings of dairy (8 oz milk, 1.5 oz cheese, 8 oz yogurt, etc. – or get your calcium from some other source)

3 oz of protein (=88 grams, try to get at least half of your protein from plant sources such as beans or nuts)

 

So after you have eaten all that, you might just find that you really aren’t that hungry after all!

4 comments:

  1. I'm hungry just reading that post. But I'm hungry all the time here lately. I guess its snack time again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Gave me some additional ideas. I could throw in some fat free cottage cheese with the fresh fruit (by the way I ended up mixing some sugar free jello and pouring over it to keep it fresh longer)so it will give me my dairy and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it me, or does that sound like the food guide pyramid?! Or at least that's what we teach here at WIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly what it is. That's why I referenced "mypyramid.gov"

    I heard though that they were going to be making some changes to it next year. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete