Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday Weigh-In

How have you been doing this week? Have you eaten all your fruits and veggies? Or have you been tempted and seduced (like me) into eating some not so good for you things?

There is a great motivational article on Spark People (thanks Jaren for telling us about that website, I love it!). It is called "Finding Inspiration in Your Biggest Temptations." I really hope you'll read the whole article, but I thought I would share a few excerpts that motivated me.

Instead of viewing temptations as roadblocks, think of them as motivators--the devil on your shoulder, if you will. If you stop, they'll get you; if you stay one step ahead, you'll always come out on top.
On eating out:

Follow the same rules at a restaurant that you would at home: Choose whole grains when possible, fill half your plate with vegetables and fruit, and opt for lean cuts of meat and low-calorie preparations.
Munching on Junk Food:

Are you stressed or upset about something? Instead of reaching for the
chocolate bar or the chips, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Eating your feelings leaves you feeling worse than when you started. Go for a walk, get out of the kitchen, remove trigger foods from the house--whatever it
takes.

On being lazy:

You get home from work and gaze longingly at the sofa. You had a long day,and a bit of rest sounds much better than socializing or spending time with others. You just want to be alone with your feet up, mind empty and the TV on. Instead of punishing yourself for being lazy, anticipate this respite from the hustle and bustle of your life and plan for it. Watch your favorite TV show, paint your nails, ask your partner to give you a foot rub. Reward yourself for being motivated, sticking with your healthy lifestyle plan and working out regularly. A bit of time spent doing nothing can help carry you through the rest of your hectic and action-packed life.

When temptations step in your path, don't cower. Confront them and enlist them as your allies. Soon you'll be stronger and more determined and will have traveled a little farther in your healthy living journey.

3 comments:

  1. Like I mentioned I haven't eaten so great this week, so I actually gained a little. But I'm now I'm motivated to do better today and all of next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still just whining and trying to get motivated again. I have got a bug of some kind and am dizzy when I stand up. Lying down doesn't burn many calories. I really loved your Readers Digest Condensed Version of the article. Thanks Jaren and Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to report that as of this Friday, I am 19 weeks, 5 days and I have actually LOST a pound! So that makes my net pregnancy gain one whole pound. I am usually up at least 7-10 by now. I guess that is one upside to getting pregnant while already overweight - the baby sucks up all the extras.
    On the other hand, Emma convinvced me to get the Hersey's Recipes book at her BookFair. We had to try out a couple....

    ReplyDelete